Alice Melnyk Public Library Bylaw #1
The Town of Two Hills Public Library Board enacts the following by-law pursuant to The Libraries Act, R.S.A. 2000, Chapter L-11, Section 36 including any amendments thereto.
1 (1) For the purposes of this bylaw the expression:
(a) “Act” refers to The Libraries Act, Chapter L-11, R.S.A 2000.
(b) “Board” means the Two Hills Public Library Board.
(c) “Borrower” means the person to whom a library membership card has been issued.
(d) “Library Manager” means the person charged by the Board with the operation of the Two Hills Public Library.
(e) “Library resources” means any material, regardless of format, that is held in a library’s collection and includes books, periodicals, newspapers, audio cassettes, video cassettes, tape recordings, projected media, paintings, drawings, prints, photographs, micro-materials, toys and games, computer software and multimedia kits.
(f) “adult” means anyone 18 and over.
1 (2) In these bylaws, unless contrary intention appears in the context:
(a) Words imparting male persons include female persons.
(b) Words in the singular include the plural and words in the plural include the singular.
(c) Where a word is defined, other parts of speech and tenses of that word have corresponding meanings.
(d) Where a period of time dating from a given day, act or event is prescribed or allowed for any purpose, the time shall be reckoned exclusively of such day or of the day of such act or event.
1 (3) Where the time limit for doing anything falls on a day when the library is closed to the public, the time shall be deemed to be extended to the first day thereafter on which the library is open to the public.
1 (4) Where a bylaw is cited, this would also include any amendments.
2 (1) The portion on any building used for public library purposes is open to any member of the public FREE OF CHARGE during the hours of opening as are set out by the Two Hills Public Library Board from time to time.
2 (2) Charges for the use of the library premises not normally used for public library purposes are set out in Schedule A which is attached hereto and forms part of this bylaw.
2 (3) Any person using the library building shall conduct himself so as to not disturb other library users.
2 (4) The Board will not be responsible for any accident occurring on the library premises due to actions of the user(s).
2 (5) Persons less than 10 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult while in the library.
2 (6) Use of the library by non-employees during the time when it is closed to the public is to be in accordance with the policy established by the Board.
2 (7) Persons using electronic resources in the library are subject to policies established by the Library Board.
2 (8) The procedure for dealing with disruptive behavior in the library will be in accordance with policy established by the Board.
First reading September 10, 2008
Second reading September 10, 2008
Third reading September 10, 2008
Procedure for Acquiring a Membership Card
3 (1) Any person resident in the town of Two Hills or County of Two Hills is eligible to apply for a membership card.
3 (1) a. Persons not resident in the Town or County of Two Hills may apply for a borrower’s card. The issue of a membership card to a non-resident shall be in accordance with Schedule B.
3 (2) An application pursuant to 3 (1) shall be
(a) dated and signed by the applicant or parent or guardian of an applicant who is less than 14 years old.
(b) accompanied by the fee prescribed in Schedule B.
3 (3) The library manager may issue a membership card to a person who has made proper application pursuant to 3 (1) and 3 (2).
3 (4) The library manager may issue a borrower’s card to a person without charge at the Board’s discretion.
Responsibilities of a Member
4 (1) A membership card may only be used by the person(s) to whom it is issued.
4 (2) A member shall notify the library manager of any change of address and/or telephone number. (Such information to be kept in confidence in accordance with policy established by the Board and FOIP.)
4 (3) A member should take proper care of any library item entrusted to his care.
4 (4) A member should return any library item to the library on or before the due date as provided in Schedule C.
4 (5) A member will be responsible for the loss of any personal articles left in the library.
Loan of Resources
5 (1) In accordance with The Libraries Act Section 36 (3) and any amendments thereto, there shall be NO CHARGE for the use of library resources. This includes resources used on the premises, resources loaned or resources acquired from other services at the discretion of the Board.
5 (2) The loan periods for various resources are set out in Schedule C.
5 (3) Library resources may be reserved in accordance with policy established by the Board.
5 (4) Library resources may be renewed in accordance with policy established by the Board.
5 (5) The Board is not responsible for any materials chosen by a child below the age of 18.
5 (6) Capital equipment may be loaned to a library member at the discretion of the Board or its designate. The user will be responsible for any cost incurred in the event that the equipment is damaged.
6 (1) The fines for late return of resources are as set out in Schedule D.
6 (2) The fines for damaged or lost resources are as set out in Schedule D.
6 (3) The procedures for demanding the return of overdue resources are as set in Schedule D.
6 (4) A membership card may be revoked by the library manager for the reasons set out in Schedule D.
6 (5) A person who has had his membership revoked pursuant to 6 (4) may within 30 days of such revocation make an appeal to the Board in writing setting out the grounds of the appeal.
6 (6) The decision of the Board in an appeal pursuant to 6 (5) is final and not subject to further appeal.
6 (7) In cases of serious dereliction the Board may prosecute an offence under The Libraries Act, Section 41 including any amendments thereto. Such an offence is punishable under the Libraries Act, Section 41 including any amendments thereto. The range of penalties applying on conviction for such as offence is set out in Schedule D.
6 (8) Any fine or penalty imposed pursuant to an offence under 6 (7) ensures to the benefit of the Two Hills Library Board in accordance with The Libraries Act, Section 41 including any amendments thereto.
Read a first time November 8, 2006
Read a second time March 14, 2007
Read a third time and adopted this 14 day of March, 2007.
ALICE MELNYK PUBLIC LIBRARY Bylaw 2(2) Schedule A
Room and Equipment Rental Policy
The Alice Melnyk Public Library welcomes the use of its program room. The Library has one room that is used for library and library-related programs and meetings but is also available for rental by groups and organizations. All rentals will be subject to the terms defined by this policy.
1. Use of the meeting room by a group or organization does not constitute endorsement by the Library Board of that group or organization’s beliefs or policies. Programs must not contravene the Criminal Code of Canada, Provincial Rules & Regulations, and Municipal Bi-laws. The Library Manager reserves the right to refuse a booking.
2. Promotional materials must not imply or suggest that the library is endorsing the program and must contain the following disclaimer: This program is not sponsored by the Alice Melnyk Public Library and the Library carries no responsibility for its content.
3. The meeting room cannot be rented for private social functions, fundraising events or bazaars, or religious services.
4. The Alice Melnyk Public Library is a non-smoking facility. Alcohol consumption is not permitted in the meeting room except under special arrangements and with proof of a valid liquor licence.
5. The use of open flames, smoke or odour produced by burning aromatic substances such as candles or incense is strictly prohibited.
6. The booking will be confirmed upon receipt of the completed agreement form. Bookings may be cancelled up to 1 week before the rental with no cost. Bookings cancelled between 1 week and 48 hours before the rental will be charged a 10% administrative fee. Bookings not cancelled, or cancelled less than 48 hours before the rental, will be charged the full rental cost.
7. Any damage to the Alice Melnyk Public Library building and/or its equipment must be repaired or replaced at the renter’s expense.
8. The library accepts no responsibility for lost or stolen articles.
9. Storage space is not provided.
10. Tables and chairs are available at the library. The set up and cleaning of the room is the responsibility of the group or organization.
11. The use of library facilities shall be subject to the supervision of the library staff. Keys to the facility shall not be provided to individuals or organizations renting the room, unless under the discretion of the Library Manager. In such a case, a deposit key may be required and a contract signed. (See Att. B)
12. A representative of the organization must sign a rental agreement stating that they have read the policy and agree to its terms.
Room Rental Rates See Att. A
• If booking takes place during regular library hours: $30/half day(3-5hrs.) and $75/full day(6-10hrs.). These are flat rates.
• If booking takes place outside of library regular hours, or booking starts and/or ends when library is closed: $30 + number of hours a library staff will have to be present (if required )to facilitate access to the room (minimum of 3 hours) x $13.00.
Equipment Available See Att. A
• Audiovisual cart (TV/VCR)
• Projection screen
• Coffee urn
*Equipment must remain in the Library building and cannot be rented out.
First Reading _________________
Second Reading ________________
Third Reading _______________
ALICE MELNYK PUBLIC LIBRARY Attachment A
Room and Equipment Rental Agreement
ORGANIZATION __________________________ CONTACT NAME ________________________
ADDRESS _______________________________ CITY / POSTAL CODE _____________________
PHONE NO. _______________________
EMAIL ADDRESS __________________________________________________
Day(s) Required Date Required Time Required # Attending
Equipment Required (included in Room Rental) # Required
Chairs: total number
Tables: total number
Audiovisual cart (TV/VCR)
I have read and agree to the terms of the Alice Melnyk Public Library Room and Equipment Rental Policy.
Name: ________________________________ Library Manager: _____________________
Date: ________________ Date: _________________
Signature: _____________________________ Signature: ___________________________
Please forward payment in the amount of $______________
(STAFF TO COMPLETE THIS SECTION)
Payment Received (please check one) ? Cash ? Cheque Staff initials: __________
Alice Melnyk Public Library Attachment B
Key Lending Agreement
I, __________________________, accept responsibility for
the key, _______________ Serial #,
that allows me access to the Alice Melnyk Public Library.
Upon signing this agreement, I recognize that I will have to pay the flat rate of $40 if the key is not returned or lost by _________________.
Name: _______________________ Library Manager: ____________________
Sign: ________________________ Sign: _____________________
Date:________________ Date: _______________
ALICE MELNYK PUBLIC LIBRARY
MEMBERSHIP CARD FEES
Teen (14-18) $10.00
Under 14 $ 5.00
Senior couple $15.00
Non-resident of town or county $45.00
Non-resident of NLLS $60.00
First reading November 8, 2006
Second reading January 31, 2007
Third reading January 31, 2007
TWO HILLS PUBLIC LIBRARY
LOAN PERIODS FOR LIBRARY RESOURCES
The loan period for all library print resources shall be three weeks and for all AV resources shall be 1 week.
Resources may be renewed twice. Further renewals may be considered at the discretion of the library manager.
First reading November 8, 2006
Second reading March 14, 2007
Third reading March 14, 2007_
ALICE MELNYK PUBLIC LIBRARY
1. The fines for late return of resources are $.25 per library day, per book and $1 per day per audiovisual item.
2. The fines for damaged or lost borrowed resources will be the replacement cost of the said resources, if known, or in accordance with the following guidelines:
Paperback $ 5.00
(unless otherwise stated in the Polaris Bib records)
3. The library manager shall contact the member once an item becomes overdue, first by telephone, and if there is no response she will then forward a written request asking for the return of the borrowed item and overdue fines or penalty payment for lost or damaged items.
4. Borrowing privileges may be revoked by the library manager for a failure to comply with the penalties as set out. A borrower’s card may be revoked by the library manager for the following reasons:
a) Disturbing and disruptive behavior in the Library.
b) Abuse of Library facilities and resources.
c) Abuse of electronic resources in the Library.
d) Chronic loss of and/or damage to loaned items.
e) A chronic record of overdue items.
f) Non-payment of fines or replacement/repair charges.
First reading Sept. 15, 2010
Second reading Sept. 15, 2010
Third reading Sept. 15, 2010
Gerald Arychuk Two Hills AB T0B 4K0
Pat Ewanishan Two Hills AB T0B 4K0
Cindy Krahn Two Hills AB T0B 4K0
Helen Ashworth- Kretzul
Tana Kupchenko Two Hills AB T0B 4K0
Suzanne Musgrave Two Hills AB T0B 4K0
Gerren Saskiw Two Hills AB T04K0
Mary Wiebe Two Hills AB T0B 4K0
Cheryl Paulichuk Two Hills AB T0B 4K0