ALICE MELNYK PUBLIC LIBRARY
PLAN OF SERVICE 2018 - 2023
To provide our population with library services that will enhance opportunity for education, research and recreation in collaboration with both of the municipal governments, community groups and volunteers.
The Alice Melnyk Public Library is a welcoming space at the center of the community providing services for all demographics.
ROLE OF THE LIBRARY
The primary role of the Alice Melnyk Public Library is to provide a multitude of materials/media as well as research, education support and internet access.
THE ALICE MELNYK PUBLIC LIBRARY NEEDS ASSESSMENT
The Alice Melnyk Public Library needs assessment consisted of the following procedures:
1) The Board and the Librarian met in March of 2017 and an Ad Hoc Committee was set up to review and update the Plan of Service.
2) Pat Ewanishan, Suzanne Musgrave and Helen Kretzel looked at the Municipal Affairs website and it explained how to do a needs assessment (SWOT analysis) to see what the needs of the community are and how the library could address any of these needs. A questionnaire was made and handed out to businesses, schools and individuals in the community by the board. The questionnaire was handed out at the beginning of May, 2017.
3) On August 11, 2017 Suzanne Musgrave and Pat Ewanishan went through the SWOT analysis questionnaires to determine what information could be used in the Plan of Service.
4) The Plan of Service was presented to the Board for final approval on November 8, 2017.
5) The Plan of Service for the Alice Melnyk Public Library of 2018 - 2023, was submitted to Alberta Municipal Affairs and to Northern Lights Library System November 9, 2017.
COMMUNITY ANALYSIS SUMMARY
Our needs assessment was done May through July of 2017. A SWOT analysis questionnaire was circulated to all businesses, town and county offices as well as schools and individuals in the Town and County of Two Hills.
Feedback was given by:
Town and County of Two Hills Council Representatives
The library services a broad range of clientele and a large physical area -the Town and County of Two Hills. There are many different cultures and ages represented in the area with Hutterite, Ukrainian and Mennonite people as the predominate groups. As well, every age group requires different programming and services that the library strives to meet by cultivating our book genre selections, a large DVD selection, free Wifi, public computers and programming from seniors to pre-school.